We're back! Twelve hours in the car (with one 1/2 hour lunch break) and who would have pegged Mallory to be a complete angel. They all did better than I had anticipated but the twins became restless the last few hours. There was plenty of pinching, tattling and tormenting but who could blame them. As we pulled off our exit they were chanting and even Mallory's little fist was pumping the air. Home sweet home!
But it couldn't just be sweet, right?
We pulled into the driveway and began removing everything from a packed minivan. I had all the energy in the world to have everything back in its place in record time...until I walked into the kitchen.
Which leads me to my unofficial 26 Things. I'll cheat for the sake of this post and share letter B with Kelli. Can you guess what I found? Lying on the floor? A bat. A dead bat! Now some may say, "Hmm not that big of a deal." But to me, this is a huge deal. The questions that were running through my mind were endless. How do situations like this seem to find me? How long has the bat been dead? Does it have rabies? Where did it come from? What has it touched? How do you disinfect every little thing in a house?
At this point Jay disposed of the bat, sprayed "the spot" with Lysol and was rolling his eyes at me. So who else do you turn to in an emergency? My mother of course. Her response to me was, "A DEAD BAT!!!" So I called the animal control officer. Two just to be safe. I'm pretty sure they were rolling their eyes over the phone (I assure you, I was very calm.) I mean its not the end of the world. But at that moment, after driving for 12 hours, I didn't know where to begin. So I took straight bleach to every surface of the entire kitchen.
I was feeling a little better until I searched Wikipedia. This is what I read:
"Bats have very small teeth and can bite a sleeping person without being felt."
So I'll be sleeping with one eye open tonight and bleaching every other room of the house tomorrow. Any other suggestions?
On a side note: I will be treating this as an isolated incident, just like the one mouse we had, so please don't comment about never having just one bat. My father already went there. And I may also be seeking therapy tomorrow.
Happy Halloween
9 years ago
9 comments:
did you know bats can get into your house through a hole the size of a dime?
guano baby...look for the guano!
That is THE FUNNIEST post I've read in a long time! Wow, you made up for lost time for sure! I am laughing as I write!
Only you Jeannie, these things only happen to you...just like your mouse friend who actually ran towards you instead of away! AHHHHH! What mouse does that?! lol
I do think there's only one bat. I would have my chimney checked and capped though...haha!
This is all the Maxwell Girls need and I CANNOT wait to hear the twins', especially Hillary's, account of this!!!
♥ you guys, soooo glad you're back!
The Bat
By day the bat is cousin to the mouse.
He likes the attic of an aging house.
His fingers make a hat about his head.
His pulse beat is so slow we think him dead.
He loops in crazy figures half the night
Among the trees that face the corner light.
But when he brushes up against a screen,
We are afraid of what our eyes have seen:
For something is amiss or out of place
When mice with wings can wear a human face.
omg...that's crazy! did you disinfect all day today?
Not a nice way to be welcomed back home - goodness!! I think bats do travel alone - but it can certainly keep you up at night thinking about the possibilities... We have found a couple of dead bats in the attic and once I found a dead one in a shoe cubby I brought down from the attic - which was then in my closet with shoes in it. That was not fun! I did freak out as at first I could not figure out what the dead creature was...Yuck!~Jackie
OMG, I understand your pain. As you know birds somehow have found their way into my house more than once and in more than one house. I bet it came through the chimney like the squirrel that found its way in my house last Thanskgiving. Just be happy it was dead, imagine laying down to sleep after that trip and it flying by...
oh my god jeannie i would have absolutely died if that happened to me! you are hilarious! i LOVE the slideshow btw...
-Kate :)
we had a bat in our house too...but it was living in our fireplace; it attached its feet to the criss cross thing. so we put tons of stuff in front of the fireplace so it wouldnt escape. koreys plan the 3rd night it was there was foiled....b/c the bat disappeared but he was going to reach in, grab it and throw it outside. haha.
i called animal control officer and he said he would come kill it but i felt bad. haha
I heard bats can come back to life and usually return to where they died.
heehee
Post a Comment