OK where to start? After spending a fun-filled, long weekend in West Newfield, Maine last July, we were headed back for some much needed relaxation. Jay and I decided it would make the most sense to get a head start and arrive Wednesday night instead of Thursday morning. We stopped for dinner on the way up and got into West Newfield at 10:30 PM. What we couldn't see as we maneuvered up the long, steep driveway was the thick sheet of ice! As we were driving up, we slid back down and spun around until we were stuck horizontally. The car would not budge. We decided to get the girls up to the house and deal with the car in the morning. That meant carrying three kids uphill, on a sheet of ice, in the dark of night. It was awful. We finally made it up, only to discover the snow on the walkway was chest deep. It looked like the owners hadn't been there the entire season. And where was the key to open the door? Under the mat on the porch. The porch that was covered in snow and ice. We had to slip and slide back down the driveway, while Jay used our snow scraper to try to dig the key out from under the mat. There was so much ice, it was impossible. Especially without a light, in the freezing cold. Seems like no big deal - except the car is stuck in a snow bank. And we have NO CELL PHONE RECEPTION! Long story short - after being towed out of the driveway, we made it to a hotel at 2:30 in the morning! It was an awful night and the kids were awake most of the time (adding their two cents in, of course.) It was pretty scary. At one point it felt like we were in the middle of nowhere, with no way out and no one could help us. We did have the option of breaking into the house. But honestly, it was late and cold and the vacation was pretty much tarnished at that point for me, so I wanted away from the whole ordeal.
The hotel was amazing. We stayed in a suite with a fireplace and a jacuzzi. The best part was that the New England Culinary Institute (Alton Brown of Food Network) study and cook at the hotel, so the two restaurants are extremely great. Possibly the best food I have ever had. The rooms are decorated differently, ours was colorful and funky. And we were able to get the kids down each night and rent in-theater movies and order room service. I've decided that having martinis delivered to you in bed is the ultimate experience. I could have stayed for a month. During the days, we toured The Vermont Teddy Bear Co. and Ben and Jerry's! We're settled in at home again and Hillary has her Calliou back. She began having withdrawals a few hours from home. I guess even a luxury suite doesn't have everything...like a DVR stocked full of her favorite shows!
9 comments:
Thanks for the recap! Nothing's easy for the Maxwell family!!! Things tend to turn out well, but getting there is always a battle! Looks well worth the hassle~martinis in bed did you say??? I would love to get up to Vermont and I love Alton Brown! He's one of this foodie's favs!
LOL about Hill missing her #1 man, Calliou. So funny and yes, I heard her in the background when you called from VT crying for her Calliou!
Love you guys, glad your back safely and can't wait to see my girls!
Auntie Kelli
xxxooo
♥ Beautiful pictures and that hotel looks great! It's great that you were able to get away! :)
Sounds fun regardless!!! I'd love to sneak away ....anywhere!!
omg I would have been terrified being stuck w/ 3 lil girls in the dark woods...glad everything turned out good, the pics are great!
OMG..what a dreadful start to a vacation. Looks like everything turned out great and you had lot's of fun. Glad your home safe and sound.
Kelly
OH MY GOD I would have died! Thank god you guys ended up having fun!
i second third fourth the oh my god comment...
VERMONT?!? how the hell?
The hotel looks sooo nice though. Only the Maxwells!
glad the vacation turned out better; it sounded hellacious in the beginning.
did you get the girls a bear too? i love the 2 factories you visited! so fun. green mountain is also around there i think too but we never went there.
wow, that sounds pretty scary. I am glad that it end well anyway.
Becca
Post a Comment