Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Flu Season

I just wanted to post something for all of the mothers of young children who read my blog. Flu season is upon us and many are already starting to get their flu shots. A nurse was in the salon today and mentioned Thimerosal-free vaccines. I had heard about them once before, but didn't know much about them. Thimerosal is organic mercury that has been added to many vaccines since the 1930's. As autism became more widespread, many linked the Thimerosal in vaccines. From what I've read, Thimerosal was removed by the FDA from most vaccines by 2003 and anything left in stock has expired or was removed. But Thimerosal is still used in some vaccines, including the flu vaccine. They have started producing Thimerosal-free flu shots but supplies are limited. Even though Thimerosal has not been linked to autism with proven evidence, The Public Health Service and The American Academy of Pediatrics believe it is a good idea to remove mercury based preservatives from all vaccines given to children under the age of 6. Which is good enough reason for me. Next week Mallory will receive the Thimerosal-free flu shot and the twins will have the flu mist. The mist is never produced with Thimerosal but Mallory is too young, three and older at my pediatrician. Some offices may tell you that there is no evidence linking Thimerosal to autism but it is your right to choose. It's definitely something to think about. But quickly because the supply is very limited.

Here is a link about Thimerosal - http://www.fda.gov/cber/vaccine/thimerosal.htm

And a link from the National Autism Association - http://www.nationalautismassociation.org/thimerosal.php

6 comments:

Mom of 3 Boys said...

thanks for posting this.
as i am pregnant with my latest creation, i have given a lot of thought to vaccines. when i brought in one of the kids to a family care dr a couple of years ago, they were saying the shots still had thimerosal in them.

i also question giving so many shots in one sitting as well to kids under the age of 2. i wish the drs were more helpful in all of this :(

Jemmmma said...

Yeah, a friend recently told me that many pediatric offices still use the vaccinations with Thimerosal in them and that you have to ask if they are free from them or you get what is on hand, but I don't know how true that is.

Mom of 3 Boys said...

we switched to a ped now so maybe it's different but the nurse rolled his eyes at us when we asked abt thimerosal.

We have done a lot of fall things i guess! I love macintosh apples so i like to get them as soon as they are ready to be picked!

Carly said...

Thank you for that Jeannie. I was unaware that the flu shot also had Thimberosal. I have held off giving Ella her MMR. I know that evidence has not been conclusive however from personal experience I tend to believe that there is a link. At 15 months old Connor had the MMR, had a severe reaction and has been diasnosed as having high-functioning autism. We consider ourselves very lucky because Connor only has minor disabilities and with intervention he will be fine. I also know that others are not so fortunate. As you said every parent needs to make informed choices.

Mary S. said...

I've never even heard of this at all. Thanks for the info!

Anonymous said...

Flu shots with Thimerosal contain 50,000 parts per billion of ethylmercury -- injected. The EPA's "safe limit" for drinking water -- INGESTED -- is 4 ppb.

Also Google a flu vaccine brochure from the mercury advocacy group Safeminds.

Please understand the politics of government agencies like the CDC, and medical trade organizations such as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Medical Association.

Also, read online testimony of the Federal Omnibus Autism Proceedings, from the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (NVICP).