Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Working Hard for the Money

What's in that canteen you ask? Acorns of course! Last night while I was on the phone, Hillary and Natalie were frantically searching the house for a bucket to collect acorns. Since Mom was completely ignoring themdeep in conversation, they managed to find this water jug and slip outside while Daddy was out there. In the back of my mind I'm thinking, "I know I asked Jay a few weeks ago to rake this one little section of the yard that is filled with acorns, but he really wouldn't pick them up one by one - would he?" Thank God no, although it wouldn't have shocked me. Apparently at the birthday party, Uncle Derek, who is an avid hunter, realized that we have a specific type of acorn in our yard that he'd like to hunt with. Still don't know if I'm getting all that right because this is coming from two four year olds. Two very money-hungry four year olds. Because really, do the twins pick up or clean unless there is incentive? Usually not. In Hillary and Natalie's words, "Uncle Derek will give us 20 bucks to fill up a bucket with acorns." I was laughing and laughing because they seriously do not forget a thing. And also because the water jug was just not enough. They wanted to gather more, more, more! Pretty soon we'll have the whole Maxwell family out there picking acorns and we can quit our jobs. Ya know, live off the land?

Uncle Derek are you reading this? Pay up - Natalie means business!

14 comments:

Kelli said...

That is sooooo good and so dang funny! Uncle Derek will learn that you only tell the twins you'll do something IF you plan on following through. He owes them $20-plus bucks and they'll never let him forget it! But I know Uncle Derek will pay up...he's a good guy! :)

Erin said...

so freakin funny! love the post.

Mom of 3 Boys said...

NICE! i love how kids never forget things you say....haha

Anonymous said...

WOW. I will pay up... I'm actully going to plant these suckas, not feed the wildlife.. Thanks girls, at my size i'd be sore for a week bending over that many times.. Uncle D appreciates it... Doing my part to save the planet...... 20 bucks headed south..

Kelly said...

LOL...You girls are the best!!! How Funny...

Mary said...

That is a great story. It's good to know that some kids are still hard workers!!!!

Mary S. said...

So funny!
Uncle Derek, I'm putting all 5 of my kids out in the yard this afternoon. We've got lots of acorns!haha!

Katie said...

best post ever

sooo cute

pay up D

Kris said...

That is so cute.
Good story!!

The Lizardo Family said...

Too cute. I guess you know how to get them to do what you want...MONEY!

Patty said...

Love it. Never too young to get them working! Leave it to "why don't you get a job" Derek. That's my boy. those girls are so cute. Great story. Patty

Lisa said...

sooo funny...I love the pics!

Jenn said...

That is hilarious!! They are "two" smart...haha get it? The pic is priceless...did they get their $$ yet??

Doug & Stacy Fournier said...

That has got to be the funniest thing I have heard all day! I hope they get their reward for all their hard work! Sorry I missed the girls 4th birthday post! Happy belated birthday girls! Wow, I can't beleive they are 4. Mine are almost there as well. I hope you have a great week!